Monday, March 15, 2004

one, two, three butterflies.

sitting in the airport in st louis coming back to chicago was the strangest feeling i've felt. the way the sun was orange around the end of the day was so familiar, and it was also the first time in a long time i've seen the sun that way. chicago is bleary. and cold. again.

getting on the plane to st louis was great. i actually had tears in my eyes. i got so anxious i bumped my bag into the guy in front of me, trying to hurry. he turned and smiled at me. he probably knew how excited i was.

the rest of the weekend was great. jeff turned 21. i'll save the details for my real journal.

but coming home was an entirely different story. once i checked my bags, had gotten through security, and was walking towards my gate, i had to go into the bathroom so i could just cry already and not have to hold it back while i was out in public. i just didn't want to leave. i liked driving around and knowing where i was going and not fighting traffic. and it was just home. it was just. home. period. i love chicago, but it's concrete. it's cold. my family doesn't live here. i mean, there's a reason why someone comes and visits me every other week. it's because i miss them. and they aren't here. and i can't get home. and any excuse to leave so ill and come to a big city is a good one.

so, here's to st louis. here's to the mom reading to her little girl in the airport on the way home. here's to where i live.

love, kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home