Tuesday, October 19, 2004

i'm just doing my job.

today was my last day at the film festival. i'm sad, but mostly i'm grateful. it was a fun job, but the majority of it consisted of sitting around at borders selling 5 tickets an hour and otherwise reading books and getting a discount at the coffee bar. which is cool, but really boring. i'm sad because there goes my only income. betsy just told me to post, so i'm going to. this is my new job. someone start sponsoring me. quick.

so now i have a lot of options. sort of. i could go back to st. louis and work at old peking. which would be cool, but lame. 1) i'd be back where i was at 18, 2) i wouldn't be near kevin, and that would make me sad. another option would be to get a crappy retail job, but, unfortunately, i am literally incapable of working jobs like that anymore. even at the film festival, where i was working part-time and i barely had to do anything besides sit on my ass, i still found myself incredibly annoyed at customers who were asking simple questions. i took pleasure out of telling them "no" or "sorry (moron) it's been sold out for three (fucking) weeks (moron)." and since getting back from cleveland this past weekend, i've really wanted to go there and live on my aunt's couch for a couple weeks.

no one told me this was going to be so hard. i'm beginning to think that instead of being brave by moving to chicago, i was instead biting off way more than i could chew, and, not to sound deep or poetic, i'm starting to choke.

3 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger betsyradish said...

totally poetic, but i disagree.

i don't think you're choking. i just think you ate too much of it a bunch of days in a row, and you are a little tired of it and need to take a break for a while.

like the time i ate salad every day for a year, and after a while, i didn't really want a salad for a couple months.

or maybe you're deciding you don't like the taste of it as much anymore. it's possible to grow out of things.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Maybe you should just take smaller bites of Chicago. Or do a better job of cutting up portions of Chicago before you eat. Like when I was 5 and my mom would cut up the pieces of steak for me so I didn't choke on them and die. Don't choke and die on Chicago, please Kate.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Hang in there...unemployment is scary and horrible, but it can't last forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home