Saturday, October 30, 2004

halloween.

something struck me this year as halloween approaches: buying a costume is ok. when i was a kid, i never ever bought a costume. my mom is a really great seamstress and not only did she make our costumes, but they were always awesome and way better than those store-bought ones. i always felt great in my homemade, awesome costume, and, honestly, a little stuck-up, but i did feel bad for those sad, colored plastic bag excuses for a costume that come with an equally cheap plastic mask. you know the ones. for example, dick tracy's yellow trench coat, tie, and pants were all wrapped up into a one size fits all plastic jumpsuit.

so when friends mention things they're doing for halloween, i always feel sad that i don't have a costume because i don't have anything to make one out of. but this year i realized, "hey, costumes are for sale."

obviously, it will not stand up to my homemade bunny suit, my dracula cape, or my witch's hat, but it will still be okay. unfortunately, it also dawned on me that i have no sewing skills of my own, and my kids' costumes will probably be bought. sigh.

3 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger betsyradish said...

This is what my BF said as he was reading your blog over my shoulder:

"Something struck me this year as halloween approaches... What, a bus?"

He is the funniest.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger kate said...

oh t-bagg, you are so witty... :)

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger hooizz said...

i grew up in the same environment - as long as i was wearing a costume, my mom was making my costume. and they were awesome.

now that im older (and lazier) its easy to get lulled into the whole store bought costume thinger. but i say 'boooo!!!' on that.

aside from breaking the bank, they're boring and not nearly as fun as pulling something together on your own. i CAN sew, but i certainly dont bother for halloween. but that still leaves a heck of alot of room to make something else. so thats what i did. and it was fabulous.

secretly i think i still have a bit of that stuck up snobbery that i had as a lil kid for store bought costumes... hopefully you reconsidered and pulled something together last minute!

cheers
hooizz

www.xanga.com/hooizz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home